Thought for the Day 8/30/2005

Psalm 57:6-7 They have prepared a net for my steps; My soul is bowed down; They dug a pit before me; They themselves have fallen into the midst of it. Selah. My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises!
This is one of many psalms that talks of praising God in the midst of adversity. In the midst of his oncoming trouble, David stands strong and he proclaims that his "heart is fixed".

"It is Well With My Soul" was written by Horatio Gates Spafford during a cross-Atlantic voyage in 1873. Spafford had been a wealthy businessman, but lost his entire fortune in the great Chicago fire of 1871. Shortly after, Spafford lost his only four daughters in a ship accident. While crossing the Atlantic, near the location where his daughters where said to have drowned, he was staring out at the waves and wrote the following words :

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though sins should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


As we begin our day, we know that adversities are waiting just around the corner. As you enter into your day, make the commitment to enter it with praise and resolve to "fix" your heart toward Him so that nothing can remove you from His presence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day 12/18/2020

Thought for the Day 7/24/2018

Thought for the Day 7/6/2023