Thought for the Day 3/29/2013



You brought me up from the grave, O LORD.
    You kept me from falling into the pit of death. [Psalm 30:3]

On this coming Sunday, we celebrate the defeat of death. Psalm 30 gives us words to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus and its implications.

The images of Psalm 30 take on new meaning in light of the resurrection of Jesus. When God raised Jesus from the dead on that morning, the power of death itself was defeated. Jesus broke out of the cage that keeps us in bondage, inviting us to follow him from death into new life.

Thus when we read Psalm 30, we think of Jesus and his resurrection. But we can also think of ourselves. As Paul explains in 1 Corinthians 15, the resurrected Jesus is the “first fruits” of the harvest. We who put our trust in him will one day be raised, even as he has been raised. We will join him in the new creation, in the resurrection of heaven and earth.

So, on this Sunday, we not only look back with awe at the resurrection of Jesus. We also celebrate what his resurrection has accomplished for us. Through faith in him, we enter into new life now, with the hope of our own resurrection ahead. Anticipating what God will do with us, we celebrate along with David, saying: “You brought me up from the grave, O LORD. You kept me from falling into the pit of death.”
David Smith

You brought me up from the grave, O LORD.
    You kept me from falling into the pit of death.
Psalm 30:3

Maritta Terrell
 
Thoughts are also posted at:

If you know of others wishing to receive these, please send me an email with their address and I'll add them.
Or, if you wish to be removed, let me know and I will.
Your email address will not be shared with anyone.



Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day 12/18/2020

Thought for the Day 7/24/2018

Thought for the Day 7/6/2023