Thought for the Day 3/29/2018




Hast thou been hungry, child of mind?
 I, too, have needed bread:
   For forty days I tasted naught  till by the angels fed.
Hast thou been thirsty?  On the cross I suffered thirst for thee;
      I promised to supply thy need, my child, come unto Me.

Perhaps thy way is weary off, thy feet grow tired and lame;
               I wearied when I reached the well,  I suffered just the same;
And when I bore the heavy cross  I fainted ‘neath the load;
               And so I’ve promised rest to all  who walk the weary road.

When thou art sad and tears fall fast,  my heart goes out to thee,
               For I wept o’er Jerusalem -- the place so dear to Me:
And when I came to Lazarus’ tomb I wept – my heart was sore;
               I’ll comfort thee when thou dost weep  till sorrows all are o’er.

Do hearts prove false when thine is true?  I know the bitter dart:
               I was betrayed by one I loved -- I died of broken heart:
I loved My own, they loved Me not, My heart was lonely, too;
               I’ll never leave thee, child of Mine,  My loving heart is true.

Art thou discouraged in thy work?  Doth ministry seem vain?
               I ministered midst unbelief,  midst those with greed of gain:
They would not hearken to My voice,  but scoffed with one accord;
               Your labor never is in vain  if done unto the Lord.

Have courage, then, My faithful one,  I suffered all the way,
               Thy sensitive and loving heart  I understand today;
Whate’er thy grief, whate’er thy care, just bring it unto Me;
               Yes, in thy day of trouble, call, I will deliver thee.
                                                                            by S. C. Umlauf

 “A man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief” 
– Isaiah 53:3


Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day 12/18/2020

Thought for the Day 7/24/2018

Thought for the Day 7/6/2023