Thought for the Day 11/4/2022

 


Friday Tale - The Bus Driver

 I'm off the bus, walking near the entrance to the city, which is backed up with traffic. A bus is standing still at an intersection. A younger woman is helping an older woman cross the street. The older woman has a walking stick. The younger woman is carrying a package for her.

    The bus driver opens his door. "I'm off duty," he says to the two women. "Can I take you somewhere?"

   The older woman has a great retort: "Even I, with my stick, can get to where I have to go faster by walking than by going with you in this traffic."

   Driver: "But you remind me of my mother, of blessed memory. She passed away last year. The traffic will clear up. If you don't mind, I'll be happy to take you."

   The older woman agrees. The younger woman goes off on her way.

   Meanwhile, a fourth-grader is running by. He hears the conversation and decides to join the get-together. "I'm late for school; can you drive me also?"

   Driver doesn't agree. But the woman says: "Hold my package and you can join the ride."

   The driver, woman, and fourth-grader are all aboard. The traffic starts moving.

   And I go to the office, thinking of the driver who lost his mother last year. She would have been proud of her son helping people even as he was supposed to be on a break from his work shift.

~ from Jim Gentil

 For He will deliver the needy when he cries for help, the afflicted also, and him who has no helper. He will have compassion on the poor and needy.
~ Psalm 72:12-13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day 12/18/2020

Thought for the Day 7/24/2018

Thought for the Day 7/6/2023