Thought for the Day 4/23/2021

 Friday Tale - People Perspective

 The Wrath of John D. Rockefeller

 A senior executive of Standard Oil Company in 1901 made a wrong decision that cost the company more than $2 million. Back then this was a lot of money, even for Standard Oil.

    John D. Rockefeller was still running the firm. On the day the news leaked out most of the executives of the company were finding various ingenious ways of avoiding Mr. Rockefeller, lest his wrath descend on their heads as well.

    There was one exception, Edward Bedford, a partner in the company. Bedford was scheduled to see Rockefeller that day and he kept the appointment, even though he was prepared to listen to a long harangue against the man who made the error in judgment.

    When he entered the office the powerful head of the gigantic Standard Oil empire was bent over his desk busily writing with a pencil on a pad of paper. Bedford stood silently, not wishing to interrupt. After a few minutes Rockefeller looked up.

    “Oh, it’s you, Bedford,” he said calmly. “I suppose you’ve heard about our loss?”

    Bedford said that he had.

    “I’ve been thinking it over,” Rockefeller said, “and before I ask the man in to discuss the matter, I’ve been making some notes.”

    At the top of the page Rockefeller had written the man’s name. There followed a long list of the man’s virtues, including a brief description of how he had helped the company make the right decision on three separate occasions that had earned many times the cost of his recent error.

    Bedford said: “I never forgot that lesson. In later years, whenever I was tempted to rip into anyone, I forced myself first to sit down and thoughtfully compile as long a list of good points as I possibly could.”

    “Invariably, by the time I finished my inventory, I would see the matter in its true perspective and keep my temper under control. There is no telling how many times this habit prevented me from committing one of the costliest mistakes any executive or any person can make -- losing his temper.”

    “I commend it to anyone who must deal with people.”

~ Unknown author

 When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable
BUT he who restrains his lips is wise.
~ Proverbs 10:19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thought for the Day 12/18/2020

Thought for the Day 7/24/2018

Thought for the Day 7/6/2023